play and learn volunteers

Volunteer at People Serving People
Maria’s Story

Maria started volunteering with PSP at the beginning of 2017 and has been here every Wednesday since she’s started! Maria volunteers with kids ages 0–5 during our Play and Learn session. She is a joy to work with and so willing to jump right in with the kids. The kiddos love being silly and laughing with Maria during our sing-alongs. She is a wonderful storyteller as well! We love working with Maria and her infectious laugh!

How long have you been volunteering with PSP? Four months in June (2017).

Why did you start volunteering? I missed working with kids and wanted to give my time to something very worthwhile.

What makes you come back week after week? The smiles and laughs of the little ones at Play and Learn. They brighten up my week!

Can you share one of your favorite stories about Play and Learn? One of the first few weeks I volunteered we had two brothers join us and they ran in and plopped right down in my and another volunteer’s lap ready to sing, they weren’t shy at all and you could tell how happy they were to be there. I couldn’t help but smile :).

What is your favorite song we sing at Play and Learn? Any song that involves the parachute! It’s such a huge hit with the kids!

What is your favorite vegetable? Red peppers, I love the color and the crunch :).

Thank you Maria!

Volunteer at People Serving People
Becca’s Story

Becca is a wonderful volunteer who works with our kiddos between 0–5 years during our Play and Learn sessions on Wednesday nights here at PSP. Becca and her sister, Angela, having been coming to Play and Learn since before I started at PSP, and even ran the show for a while! Becca is amazing to work with and I appreciate her willingness to help with anything that is needed and for her consistency with the kiddos. Everyone looks forward to seeing Becca and her infectious smile week after week.

How long have you been volunteering with PSP? I have been at PSP for about 2.5 years.

Why did you start volunteering? I started volunteering because I needed volunteer hours and my sister told me about the organization. After I completed my hours I decided to stick with it because PSP is a great organization and I enjoy volunteering with the little ones.

What makes you come back year after year? Every year I come back because I believe in the organization and I want to be able to help out and make a difference. Also, volunteering with the little ones is great, I have been able to see many of them grow and progress in their learning.

Can you share one of your favorite stories about Play and Learn? One of my favorite stories is really just coming back week after week, it is so great to see the kids interact and remember who you are. I have seen many kids start as babies then I am able to watch them grow into toddlers. It’s such a rewarding feeling when the kids run in and give you a giant hug!

What is your favorite song we sing at Play and Learn? My favorite song is either the start stop song or jelly in a bowl!

What is your favorite vegetable? My favorite vegetable is broccoli or carrots.

Thank you Becca!