k-5 educational services associate – full-time
Educational Services Coordinator
Bachelor’s degree or completed college credits in one of the following areas: Education, Child Development, Social Science, Child Psychology, Behavioral Sciences, Recreation, or related area.
TYPE OF POSITION
35-40 hours/week; 11:00-8:15 p.m. Mon – Thurs; 3:00-8:15 p.m. Fri; Overtime may be required on occasion, and daytime hours during summer months.
The educational services associate will develop and facilitate programming for children grades K-5. Program implementation includes educational and enrichment programming for children staying at People Serving People’s emergency shelter. We look for creative individuals who have a firm understanding of trauma informed principles and goals as it relates to education as well as a firm understanding of learning and developing a strong foundation in education and experience working with youth in the following areas: literacy, social-emotional development, sports and recreation, project-based learning, restorative justice, and relationship and community development. In addition, the educational services associate will collaborate with staff to develop and facilitate weekly family engagement opportunities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Understands the social-emotional needs of youth in a shelter setting.
- Understands the impact of toxic stress and trauma on youth in a shelter setting.
- Understands and can implement and build on the trauma-informed framework of our programs.
- Meets daily with the Educational Services Coordinator
- Attend weekly meetings with Educational Services staff
- Develops structured educational lesson plans, incorporating engaging learning activities and/or project-based learning, for children attending Educational Support and Enrichment Programs
- Uses positive youth development and behavior management strategies
- Organizes and utilizes materials and classroom/facility in cooperation with other program staff
- Actively supervises children and volunteers during scheduled programs and field trips to ensure a safe, healthy, and positive environment for all involved
- Communicates daily program plan to volunteers and ensures volunteers’ comfort level in assisting with activity
- Sets up and provides educational programs to meet the needs of children
- Develops rapport with children and families and encourages participation in educational programs
- Encourages young people to take their ideas seriously as they become problem solvers, innovators, risk-takers, and creators while developing projects that are meaningful to them
- Assists Educational Services Coordinator to maintain attendance, program records, and statistics
- Helps with the curation of giveaways, field trips, and other events as-needed
- Evaluates regularly the variety, suitability, participation, and overall quality of programs
- Plans and facilitates large and small group educational and recreational activities during school holidays and summer sessions
- Collaborates with community partnerships
- Works offsite during summer months to facilitate School Aged Summer program at The Center of Excellence
- Works with staff to develop and facilitate weekly family engagement opportunities and engage volunteer groups
- Occasionally fills in as an Assistant Teacher for the Early Childhood Development Program at People Serving People.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Educational Services Coordinator and/or Manager
The Educational Services Associate will be responsible for guiding and supervising volunteers during the times when program is in session.
Child Guidance Skills – Awareness of and sensitivity to particular problems of disadvantaged children and the specific needs of families and children who are homeless and in crisis.
Interpersonal Skills – Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things. Has the ability to establish rapport and interact effectively with a wide variety of people including staff, clients and service providers.
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Follows instructions, responds to management direction;
Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writes clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed. Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability – Is able to adapt to changes in the work environment. Manages competing demands. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Stress Management – Demonstrates capacity to maintain personal control and a balanced approach to stressful conditions.
- Basic computer skills and experience with Microsoft and Apple applications.
- Experience working with a multi-cultural, socially diverse population.
- Experience planning and implementing children’s programs.
- A valid, Class D driver’s license preferred in case of field trip transportation needs.
- First Aid and CPR certified or willing to be certified within the first 90 days of work.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must lift and/or move 70 lbs.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
People Serving People is an EEO employer fully committed to attracting, retaining, and promoting the most qualified individual without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We are dedicated to providing and maintaining an inclusive work environment free from discrimination and harassment, where employees are treated with respect and dignity. Individuals who have experienced homelessness are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please mail or email cover letter and resume to:
614 3rd Street South
Minneapolis, MN 55415