assistant teacher (part time)
Lead Toddler and Preschool Teachers, Early Childhood Program Coordinator
TYPE OF POSITION
$15.00 / hour
Must have coursework in Early Childhood, Child Development, Psychology, Social Work, Human Services, or a related field OR 2,080 hours of early childhood experience along with 12 quarter credits related to Child Development.
The Assistant Teacher works with the Teachers to provide a warm, loving atmosphere and classroom based on a philosophy of trauma informed principles and goals for children ages 18 months – 4 years who live at People Serving People. Teachers and Assistants work together to support the academic and social development of children in the Early Childhood Development Program. Assistant Teachers must be able to work in a team setting, with patience, enthusiasm and respect for children, as well as parents and fellow staff. Must have working knowledge of early childhood development.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Understands the social-emotional needs of children in a shelter setting.
- Understands the impact of toxic stress and trauma on children in a shelter setting.
- Understands and can implement and build on the trauma-informed framework of our classrooms.
- Assists with encouraging children’s social, academic, developmental, and personal skills.
- Assists teachers in implementing a curriculum based on social/emotional skills and early literacy.
- Encourages oral communication with other children and adults.
- Maintains clean classroom appearance by organizing, cleaning, and sanitizing daily.
- Works with children experiencing difficulty as assigned.
- Attends meetings and workshops as needed.
- Assists in other Early Childhood Development Program classrooms as necessary for ratio, including classrooms at the Center of Excellence.
- Completes yearly in-service training equal to 1-2% of the number of hours worked.
- Performs other duties assigned by the classroom Teacher and/or Early Childhood Development Program Coordinators.
- Experience working with early childhood children in a child care center preferred.
- Experience serving multi-cultural, socially diverse population desired.
- First Aid and CPR certified or willing to be certified within the first 90 days of work.
- Ability to check an email account.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must lift and/or move 50 lbs.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can be loud at times.
People Serving People is an EEO employer fully committed to attracting, retaining, and promoting the most qualified individual without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We are dedicated to providing and maintaining an inclusive work environment free from discrimination and harassment, where employees are treated with respect and dignity. Individuals who have experienced homelessness are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Excellent working conditions and benefit package including medical insurance, company paid dental/basic life insurance and PTO.
Please mail or email cover letter and resume to:
614 3rd Street South
Minneapolis, MN 55415