TYPE OF POSITION
$16.48 / hour
High school diploma or GED
None. May direct the work of interns and volunteers as needed.
This position provides 30 hours weekly of administrative support to the volunteer program and assists with departmental operations. People Serving People has over 6,500 volunteers in a year providing a total of more than 32,000 volunteer hours. The Volunteer Associate is responsible for supporting 2 Minneapolis locations by scheduling individual volunteers in all departments of People Serving People, scheduling meal service volunteers, and scheduling groups as directed. This position is also responsible for creating and maintaining records in VolunteerHub, Salesforce, and related reporting.
- Schedule individual volunteers to maximize the use of their time and talents while serving staff needs at the Center of Excellence and at our shelter location.
- Schedule volunteer groups from faith communities, high schools, middle schools and non-profit partners.
- Confirm volunteer hours to individuals and groups as requested.
- Maintain calendar of volunteer opportunities for all departments of People Serving People.
- Open volunteer shifts to the public to ensure full shift coverage.
- Maintain updated volunteer opportunities on community partners’ websites.
- Create and update volunteer schedules and distribute them to designated staff.
- Work with staff to determine who is still volunteering and what shifts to open to new volunteers at Center of Excellence and Shelter.
- Maintain authorized volunteer list with current information.
- Maintain People Serving People’s Hands on Twin Cities and Volunteer Match web presence.
- Create and update digital and physical materials relating to the volunteer program.
- Respond to routine questions via email or phone from volunteers.
- Track volunteer absences in meal service, and contact volunteers who miss a shift.
- Record a variety of volunteer data in VolunteerHub and Salesforce.
- Schedule, prep and lead volunteer orientations, and do volunteer orientation follow-up at the Center of Excellence and as directed at the shelter.
- Schedule and lead group tours at shelter and Center of Excellence.
- Assist with volunteer appreciation.
- Send monthly anniversary cards to volunteers.
- Coordinate group volunteer recognition along with Community Relations Manager.
- Manage and maintain relationships with a variety of organizations, educational institutions, and corporations.
- Coordinate event volunteers with Community Relations Manager.
- Responsible for gala volunteer calendar. Coordinate with volunteers to fill approx. 100 spots.
- Coordinate volunteers for National Night Out.
- Attend volunteer fairs and interact with potential new volunteers and donors.
- Assist with implementing Volunteer Hub and Service Enterprise.
- Attend trainings.
- Present Service Enterprise information People Serving People employees.
- Create and update records in Salesforce database, do regular data entry and retrieve information
- Gather information on a variety of development topics.
- Assist with events as needed.
- Provide tours to supporters.
- Greet and engage with in-kind donors as needed.
- Monitor quality assurance and data integrity in area of responsibility and look for ways to meet the needs of volunteers and improve processes
- Staff evening and weekend development events occasionally when needed
- Assist with special projects and development activities
- Assist with donation collection
- Work collaboratively with program staff and other development team members; assist team as needed
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned
Interpersonal Skills – Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things. Has the ability to establish rapport and interact effectively with a wide variety of people including staff, clients and service providers.
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Tolerance – Has the ability to work with a diverse population.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Follows instructions, responds to management direction.
Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writes clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed. Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability – Is able to adapt to changes in the work environment. Manages competing demands. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Stress Management – Possesses the capacity to maintain personal control and a balanced approach to stressful condition.
- Three years of customer service experience required
- Experience working with a volunteer program or non-profit organization is desired
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES
- Knowledge of volunteerism and volunteer management best practices.
- Demonstrated commitment to issues of homelessness, poverty, and social justice, with a desire to work in a nonprofit organization supporting children and their families.
- Strong interpersonal communications and customer service skills
- Outstanding organization and time management skills
- High attention to detail and follow-up
- Skilled in managing multiple tasks within a deadline
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and make quick decisions within general guidelines
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Competent with Microsoft Office applications
- Experience with a customer relationship database is preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must lift and/or move 25 lbs.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
People Serving People is an EEO employer fully committed to attracting, retaining, and promoting the most qualified individual without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We are dedicated to providing and maintaining an inclusive work environment free from discrimination and harassment, where employees are treated with respect and dignity. Individuals who have experienced homelessness are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please mail or email cover letter and resume to:
614 3rd Street South
Minneapolis, MN 55415