Lead Toddler Teacher/Educational Services Assistant Manager
TYPE OF POSITION
$16.00 per hour and $1000 signing bonus
Must have BA or BS in Early Childhood, Elementary Education, Child Development or related field OR CDA credential, Child Care Specialist Certificate or Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health Certificate, OR 4,160 hours of early childhood experience along with 24 quarter credits related to Child Development.
The Toddler Teacher works with the Lead Teacher to provide a warm, loving atmosphere and classroom based on a philosophy of trauma informed principles and goals. The Toddler Teacher works with the Lead Teacher to support the academic and social development of children ages 18 months – 35 months and their parents at People Serving People. Must be able to work and plan in a team setting, with patience, enthusiasm and respect for children, as well as parents and fellow staff. Must have working knowledge of early childhood development.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Understands the social-emotional needs of children in a shelter setting.
- Understands the impact of toxic stress and trauma on children in a shelter setting.
- Understands and can implement and build on the trauma-informed framework of our classrooms.
- Participates in planning and facilitation of curriculum for young children in a developmentally appropriate setting based heavily in social-emotional development.
- Encourages oral communication with other children and adults.
- Assists with encouraging children’s social, academic, developmental, and personal skills.
- Welcomes, talks with and/or meets with parents as needed.
- Observes and reports on physical, emotional, intellectual and social development of children.
- Maintains clean classroom appearance by organizing, cleaning, and sanitizing daily.
- Performs related administrative duties.
- Works with children experiencing difficulty as assigned.
- Attends meetings and workshops as needed.
- Collaborates with People Serving People’s Center of Excellence teaching staff as needed.
- Assists in other Early Childhood Development Program classrooms as necessary for ratio, including classrooms at the Center of Excellence.
- Completes 24 hours of in-service training per year.
- Performs other duties assigned by the Lead Preschool Teacher, Educational Services Assistant Manager, and/or Educational Services Manager.
- Takes direction from, and completes duties assigned by, our Educational Services Shift Lead.
Child Guidance Skills – awareness of and sensitivity to particular problems of disadvantaged children and the specific needs of families and children who are homeless and in crisis.
Interpersonal Skills – Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things. Has the ability to establish rapport and interact effectively with a wide variety of people including staff, clients and service providers.
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Follows instructions, responds to management direction;
Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writes clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed. Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability – Is able to adapt to changes in the work environment. Manages competing demands. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Stress Management – Possesses the capacity to maintain personal control and a balanced approach to stressful conditions.
- Experience as an assistant teacher, aide, or student intern in an early childhood center.
- Experience working with early childhood children in a child care center preferred.
- Experience serving multi-cultural, socially diverse population desired.
- First Aid and CPR certified or willing to be certified within the first 90 days of work.
Ability to check an email account.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must lift and/or move 70 lbs.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can be loud at times.
People Serving People is an EEO employer fully committed to attracting, retaining, and promoting the most qualified individual without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We are dedicated to providing and maintaining an inclusive work environment free from discrimination and harassment, where employees are treated with respect and dignity. Individuals who have experienced homelessness are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please mail or email cover letter and resume to:
614 3rd Street South
Minneapolis, MN 55415