education and enrichment volunteers

Volunteer at People Serving People
Mark’s Story

Hometown: Hazleton, PA

How long have you been with People Serving People? Since September 2013

Favorite Book: A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Hemmingway’s The Sun also Rises is a close second)

Hobbies: I love to travel and still run 25 miles/week.

Favorite Quotation: “Let us chart our course by the stars and not from the lights on each passing ship.”

Favorite PSP Memory: I have tutored so many great kids I could easily fill a book of great memories. A recent one is I was reading a book with a nine year old which led her to ask me how old I was. I told her I was 66. Immediately her eyes grew wide and she said “Why you don’t look a day over 55!”

Sam’s Story

Hometown: Eau Claire, WI

How long have you been with People Serving People? Since February 2016

Favorite book: Wonder by R.J. Palacio. I highly recommend it to everyone!

Hobbies: I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, running, reading, and writing.

Favorite quotation: “Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody.”

Favorite PSP Memory: I have made many great memories in my time here, but one that especially stands out to me is when I was helping a girl study for an upcoming test. She had a moment where her eyes lit up because she realized she was the one teaching me something new and she finally understood the material. The next week when I saw her she ran up to me right away to give me a big hug and tell me how well she did on the test. It was one of those moments that just filled my heart with happiness.

John’s Story

Hometown: Greenville, NC

How long have you been with People Serving People? Since February 2017

Favorite Book: Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Hobbies: Sports, reading, volunteering

Favorite Quotation: “Just be you. You is Enough.” – Mike Kryzewski

Favorite PSP Memory: Getting to bring my pet rabbits to meet the kids! They were both a hit. But there was a kindergarten girl who really fell in love with Percy.

Why do you volunteer at People Serving People? It brings me such joy to be a part of these kid’s lives and to get to see the smiles on their faces every week. It’s such a privilege to spend time with them, and get to know a few of them. They are so special.

Priti (PK)’s Story

Hometown: Andover, MA

How long have you been with People Serving People? Since May 2017

Favorite Book: Ender’s Game by Jane Eyre and The Adventures of Huck Finn

Hobbies: Reading, kickboxing, volunteering, cooking, traveling, and spending time with loved ones

Favorite Quotation: “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.

Favorite PSP Memory: I love at the end of the day when we do reading time and watching the kid’s curiosity and confidence increase when it comes to reading.

Why do you volunteer at People Serving People? I think it is important to give back to your community. In particular for me, I truly believe that all children deserve to grow up in a safe and welcoming environment. The after-school program at People Serving People does this, along with creating a fun learning space for the kids. I feel fortunate to be a contributor to this program.