assistant infant and float teacher
Center of Excellence
Preschool and Learning Center Assistant Director
Credit hours in early childhood education/development and related fields and/or experience in licensed child care centers and public schools.
TYPE OF POSITION
Full-time, 40 hours a week
Must be willing to work a variety of 8.5 hr shifts M-F between 6:30 AM-6:00 PM
The Float Teacher fills in as lead or assistant teacher during classroom teacher’s absences, vacations, breaks, or during teacher transitions and provides support to teachers as needed. The float teacher will also perform administrative duties as needed. The float teacher will drive the company van to pick up supplies and lunch. The Float Teacher will maintain environment that is nurturing and supports the development of children ages 6 weeks – 8 years.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Understands the social-emotional developmental needs of children.
- Understands the impact of toxic stress and trauma on children and their families, and can implement and build on the trauma-informed framework developed in the classrooms.
- Understanding of and willingness to implement sensory integration in the classroom.
- Assists in planning and facilitating curriculum for young children in a developmentally appropriate setting based heavily in social-emotional development.
- Encourages and teaches pre-literacy, communication, social skills, cognitive and other developmental skills.
- Welcomes, talks with and meets with parents.
- Observes, evaluates, and assess children’s progress in collaboration with classroom teachers.
- Observes and reports on physical, emotional, intellectual and social development of children and works closely with Minneapolis Public Schools for referrals and screening.
- Knowledge and understanding of DHS Rule 3.
- Collaborates with People Serving People Programs and Staff as needed.
- Participates as an Associate with People Serving People.
- Maintains appropriate program records.
- Completes first aid and Red Cross certified CPR training every 2 years.
- Completes yearly in-service training equal to 1-2% of the number of hours worked.
- Completes required trainings and documentation for Parent Aware rating.
- Performs other duties assigned by the Preschool and Learning Center Director and/or Assistant Directors.
- Drive company vehicle for meal pick-up and supplies.
- Assist with meal prep and delivery.
Interpersonal Skills – Maintains confidentiality, listens to others without interrupting, remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things, has the ability to establish rapport and interact effectively with a wide variety of people including staff, clients and service providers.
Ethics – Treats people with respect, inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and ethically, upholds organizational values.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently, completes administrative tasks correctly and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction.
Communication – Listens and gets clarification, responds well to questions, speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, writes clearly and informatively, able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities, gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to building a positive team spirit, puts success of team above own interests, supports everyone’s efforts to succeed, contributes to building a positive team spirit, shares expertise with others.
Adaptability – Is able to adapt to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, changes approach or method to best fit the situation, and is able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses, pursues training and development opportunities, strives to continuously build knowledge and skills, shares expertise with others.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction, takes responsibility for own actions, keep commitments, commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals, completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, looks for ways to improve and promote quality, applies feedback to improve performance, monitors own work to ensure quality.
Stress Management – Possesses the capacity to maintain personal control and a balanced approach to stressful conditions.
- Basic computer skills and experience with Microsoft applications.
- Two or more years of experience serving multi-cultural, socially diverse population desired.
- Valid driver’s license
- Combination of education and experience in early childhood required
- First aid and CPR certified or willing to be certified within 90 days.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must lift and/or move 70 lbs.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can be loud at times.
People Serving People is an EEO employer fully committed to attracting, retaining, and promoting the most qualified individual without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We are dedicated to providing and maintaining an inclusive work environment free from discrimination and harassment, where employees are treated with respect and dignity. Individuals who have experienced homelessness are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please mail or email cover letter and resume to:
614 3rd Street South
Minneapolis, MN 55415