director of development
People Serving People is the largest and most comprehensive emergency shelter for families experiencing homelessness in Minnesota and a dedicated leader in homeless prevention. If you want to help transform communities and see families thrive, then People Serving People is the place for you.
What do we need?
The Director of Development is critical in strategizing and implementing the People Serving People’s fund development, marketing, communications, volunteer, and public engagement efforts. This person will lead a cohesive team to actively engage the community, meet fundraising goals, and advance the organization’s mission. The Development Department at People Serving People houses institutional, individual, and corporate giving; marketing and communications; and volunteer engagement. The Director’s role encompasses fundraising, organizational leadership, and external engagement.
Responsibilities for Director of Development:
- Work closely with the CEO and the Board of Directors to develop a comprehensive fundraising strategy to expand philanthropic support for the organization that aligns with the organization’s mission and goals
- Plan, direct, and implement a comprehensive development program that generates individual, major gift, foundation, and corporate support, including annual giving campaigns, major gift solicitations, planned giving, special fundraising events, grants, and capital campaigns
- Build relationships with foundations, individual donors, and corporate groups by effectively communicating the vision and needs while sourcing new partners and supporters
- Cultivate and solicit major and planned gifts from individuals and corporate sponsorships for programs and events
- Strategically communicate mission, vision, and work to expand the narrative on family homelessness, share stories with power and integrity
- Represent People Serving People as a spokesperson and presenter through community events, donor-sponsored events, and other speaking opportunities
- Develop detailed multi-year departmental plans and metrics. Present plans to Senior Leadership and the Boards’ Development Committee on an annual basis
- Evaluate metrics and milestones throughout the year, adjusting strategies based on internal and external trends and factors. Report on progress quarterly
- Create and execute budgets for the entire department
- Foster a team-oriented approach to fundraising, setting goals, measuring and reporting on successes, and providing leadership in making appropriate adjustments
- Advocate, promote, and adhere to the Community Centric Fundraising Principles or other guidelines to promote an anti-racist, anti-classist lens of development
- Facilitate effective collaboration and communication between development team members, program and operations staff
Requirements for Director of Development:
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree preferred with a focus on fundraising, communications, public relations, nonprofit management, or related field. An equivalent combination of education, training, or experience in a non-profit setting will be considered.
- 4-6 years of relevant experience
- First-hand fundraising experience for a non-profit organization
- Minimum 3 years of management experience
- Knowledge of development plan creation and implementation
- Training, public speaking, and/or facilitation experience and tools
- Strong racial equity lens and cultural humility
- Strong adaptive, interpersonal, and written communicator
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively; with detail orientation and agility
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office365 and CRM database required. Salesforce experience preferred.
- Understanding of social media platforms
Pay and Benefits for Director of Development:
- $95,000 per year, depending on experience
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance available
- Company-paid life and disability insurance
- 27 days of PTO per year
- Reduced cost parking or metro pass
- Parental leave and reduced childcare rates
- Free lunch every day
- The chance to make a real difference in the community
To Apply and Learn More: