community safety manager
People Serving People is the largest and most comprehensive emergency shelter for families experiencing homelessness in Minnesota and a dedicated leader in homeless prevention. If you want to help transform communities and see families thrive, then People Serving People is the place for you.
What do we need?
The Community Safety Manager oversees the shelter’s security team, supports the operation and maintenance of the shelter’s security infrastructure, engages staff and guests to identify and address safety needs and empowers community members to safeguard each other through training and related supports.
Responsibilities for Community Safety Manager:
- Provides daily oversight, quality control and onboarding of People Serving People’s contract security team, and partners with supervisor and peers to promote a high quality of service.
- Partners with stakeholders to operate and maintain the shelter’s security and safety equipment, including but not limited to cameras, access controls, automated external defibrillators, and evacuation aids.
- Develops and executes annual operating and capital budgets using stakeholder input and participates in long-range visioning around the future of community safety at People Serving People.
- Leads the shelter’s emergency preparedness program by maintaining existing and developing new emergency procedures, administering emergency drills, performing after-action reviews and using lessons-learned to continually improve emergency response.
- Partners with Facilities department, Director of Administration & Compliance and supervisor to continuously evaluate the physical safety of the shelter facility and identify/resolve potential hazards.
- Serves as People Serving People’s de-escalation champion. Collaborates with departments to identify de-escalation training needs and work collaboratively to source and schedule de-escalation training.
- Provides emergency medical response training to staff and guests, including CPR/AED/First Aid and overdose reversal training. Distributes emergency medical response materials (i.e., naloxone) and collaborates to secure funding for training and related materials.
- Chair People Serving People’s Safety Committee, maintain the internal Community Safety website.
- Conduct safety and security investigations as needed.
Requirements for Community Safety Manager:
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3 years of experience, or Associates degree and 5 years of experience, or GED and 7 years of experience.
- Must have or be able to obtain within 6 months CPR/AED/First Aid instructor certification.
- Must have or be able to obtain within 6 months opioid reversal instructor training.
- Prior experience working with diverse teams, ideally but not necessarily those who have experienced homelessness.
- Prior all-hazard emergency management experience, including developing and exercising emergency procedures.
- Experience using, maintaining and troubleshooting network video recorders, IP cameras and wireless bridges, with a basic knowledge of network architecture.
- Prior experience overseeing facility safety, including the identification and elimination of physical hazards.
- Familiarity with commercial security industry and civilian and/or military law enforcement. Formal experience in security or law enforcement is not required.
- Familiarity with criminal justice issues impacting marginalized and oppressed communities as well as with disparities and inequities created by systemic racism.
- Able to work on call and respond to emergencies after scheduled hours.
Pay and Benefits for Community Safety Manager:
- $57,000 per year plus a $2,000 hiring bonus
- Medical and vision insurance
- Company paid dental, life, and disability insurance
- 27 days of PTO per year
- Reduced cost parking or metro pass
- Reduced childcare rates and parental leave
- Free lunch every day
- The chance to make a real difference in the community
To Apply and Learn More:
Apply by sending a resume to email@example.com.