community relations manager
Director of Development
TYPE OF POSITION
$50,000 – $55,000 annually
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Three years doing a variety of the essential job functions is required; experience may be acquired through paid employment or volunteer or internship positions. Work in a non-profit fundraising department, or foundation office environment is helpful. Alternatively, an equivalent combination of education, training, or experience, preferably in a non-profit setting will be considered.
Supervise the Communications Coordinator, Volunteer Coordinator, the Events & Marketing Associate, and volunteers. Support the supervision of the Volunteer Associate, events interns and volunteers.
The Community Relations Manager is responsible for managing all external communications strategy, the volunteer program, and select events sponsored by People Serving People. This position leverages key relationships and contacts within the community and media, in collaboration with other development team members and program staff, to effectively integrate supporters’ philanthropic needs with People Serving People’s mission, program activities, and support requirements to meet revenue goals.
- Manage the full spectrum of the organization’s external communications, public relations, and social media outreach and engagement efforts, including integrating social media into People Serving People’s overall communications strategy.
- Oversee People Serving People’s presence on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, LinkedIn, Instagram, and website.
- Develop and implement a dynamic presence throughout all communication channels, analyzing the effectiveness of People Serving People’s presence in these channels, recommending and implementing best practices for emerging digital communications and marketing strategies and tactics.
- Develop, write, and publish written and visual content across all communication channels ensuring efficiency, platform content consistency, and meaningfully connecting and engaging with supporters.
- Coordinate with staff throughout the organization to curate content supporting People Serving People’s policy goals within the community.
- Collaborate with Director of Development and CEO to re-engage existing and cultivate new media contacts, supporting continued expansion of public relations initiatives, identifying new opportunities for press and securing coverage.
- Oversee the creation and production of People Serving People’s semi-annual print newsletter and annual
- Oversee media kits, press releases, and with senior leadership, manage crisis or emergency communications.
- Coordinate with event staff for digital event promotion.
- Provide event photography as needed.
- Coordinate branding guidelines and support through consistent monitoring and maintenance of various presentation assets (i.e., PowerPoint, video, scripts).
- Manage the full spectrum of the volunteer program, including recruitment, orientation, scheduling, tracking, evaluation, recognition, and retention.
- Collaborate with program and operations staff to identify volunteer needs, orientation and training requirements, and recognition and retention activities. Collaborate with staff to develop strong, respectful relationships between volunteers and staff and ensure that the volunteer program is fully integrated into the work of the organization.
- Understand and represent the voice of the volunteer in continuous quality improvement of the volunteer program.
- Work with development team and other staff to identify and engage corporate funders, community organizations, businesses, and institutions that connect People Serving People with prospective volunteers.
- Cultivate and nurture key partners through volunteer engagement.
- Represent People Serving People at volunteer fairs and other community and corporate events.
- Create and maintain systems, process, and forms for volunteer management, ensuring a high quality of customer service for both volunteers and staff, efficient business processes, and accurate data capture and reporting.
- Manage a portfolio of event planning and implementation for select People Serving People-sponsored events, including, recommending budget, timeline, sponsorship packages, and allocation of tasks among development staff; identify, develop and manage relationships with event vendors.
- Work with Development Department leadership to coordinate, solicit, and support event sponsorships, table and ticket sales, marketing and communications, fundraising, and event business operations.
- Identify event services suitable for sponsorships or in-kind gifts.
- Assist in developing Development Department annual expenditure and revenue budgets and manage areas of responsibility to meet budget goals.
- Provide support to Development Team for events and special projects.
- Conduct tours of People Serving People to volunteers, donors, and community members.
- Represent People Serving People at community events.
- Staff evening and weekend events when needed.
- All other duties as assigned
Interpersonal Skills – Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things. Has the ability to establish rapport and interact effectively with a wide variety of people including staff, clients and service providers.
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Tolerance – Has the ability to work with a diverse population.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Follows instructions, responds to management direction;
Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writes clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed. Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability – Is able to adapt to changes in the work environment. Manages competing demands. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Stress Management – Possesses the capacity to maintain personal control and a balanced approach to stressful conditions.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
Project Management – Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Proficient in MS Office suite and experience with industry-standard design software applications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and success in working in a collaborative team environment; ability to collaborate across program and operational departments.
- Excellent oral and written language skills; ability to represent People Serving People to a variety of audiences in a variety of settings.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with multiple social media channels and best practices for using them in a business environment.
- Demonstrated success in prospecting, cultivating, and managing relationships with media, press, and community contacts.
- Photography and videography skills.
- Ability to negotiate and manage contracts related to events.
- Ability to manage personnel to meet goals.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and make quick decisions without guidance.
- Outstanding organization and time management skills.
- Verified ability to calmly manage spur of the moment scheduling or personnel issues.
- Skilled in managing multiple tasks within a deadline.
- Knowledge of regulations and compliance issues around volunteer and events management, including insurance, gaming regulations and reporting, and background checks.
- Ability and experience in working with and for diverse groups.
- Demonstrated commitment to issues of homelessness, poverty, and social justice, with a desire to work in a nonprofit organization supporting children and their families.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must lift and/or move 25 lbs.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
People Serving People is an EEO employer fully committed to attracting, retaining, and promoting the most qualified individual without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We are dedicated to providing and maintaining an inclusive work environment free from discrimination and harassment, where employees are treated with respect and dignity. Individuals who have experienced homelessness are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Excellent working conditions and benefit package including medical insurance, company paid dental/basic life insurance and PTO.
Please mail or email cover letter and resume to:
614 3rd Street South
Minneapolis, MN 55415