culinary arts training
Upcoming 2018 Sessions
- 2nd class starts Monday April 2
- 3rd class starts Monday July 2
- 4th class starts Monday October 1
Goal: Learn the skills needed to obtain high-demand positions in the Food Service industry.
Days/Hours: Training is 13-weeks of classroom and hands-on learning in our industrial kitchen. Classes meet Monday-Thursday, 8:00 am-2:30pm at People Serving People, 614 3rd Street South, Minneapolis.
Training: Learn about baking, soups/sauces, sanitation, deep frying and sautéing, roasting, stews/braising. Learn to use kitchen equipment and analyze recipes. Learn at your own rate. For the final exam, you will plan and supervise the creation of a full-course meal for up to 350 guests staying at People Serving People.
Paid Training: We pay students $13.00/hour during training. We provide the books, uniforms, and other class materials.(12 paid weeks with 2 unpaid partial days for ServSafe preparation and testing.)
Student Requirements: Applicants must pass a background check (no violent or sex offenses). Basic math and reading skills are important, and tutoring help is available during the training. Students must provide their own black leather, non-skid, non-slip shoes.
Training Sessions & Class Size: We have four sessions per year, usually starting in January. You can request an interview three weeks before the start of the next session. Space is limited so each student enjoys individual attention.
Employment Readiness: Students work with People Serving People’s Employment Advocates to create a resume and search for employment before graduation. Graduates have the skills to obtain jobs earning an average of $10-$12 an hour.
Location: People Serving People, 614 3rd Street South, Minneapolis. We are near US Bank Stadium, close to light rail and bus lines.
Benefits: Graduates can take the Servsafe Certification, and they have opportunities to interview for post-training internships at People Serving People and partner restaurants.
How do I apply?
1. To apply for culinary arts training, download the application. Complete the culinary arts application and fax to 612-333-7608 or email a scanned copy to email@example.com
2. HR will contact you if selected for an initial screening by phone, followed by an invitation for a face to face interview with the Food Services Manager.
- 3. Not all candidates will be selected for an interview. The Food Services Manager will call selected candidates to schedule an interview appointment.
- 4. Arrive at your appointment on time to take a pre-test and complete a program application.
- 5. After your interview, the Food Services Manager will select candidates who they feel are best suited for success in our culinary arts program. Not all candidates interviewed will be accepted into the Culinary Arts Training program.
For more information, contact the Human Resources department at 612.277.0252 or firstname.lastname@example.org
People Serving People
People Serving People helps homeless and at-risk children and their families manage crisis situations and build a strong foundation for their long-term success. Culinary arts training combines classroom and hands-on training, preparing graduates to obtain stable jobs in the high-demand food services industry. Our professional chefs, with more than 30 years combined experience, teach the classes, and students get hands-on training in our full-scale industrial kitchen, which serves an average of over 600 meals daily.